In India, soon children below the age of 18 may also start getting the corona vaccine. Zydus Cadila has sent data related to the Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) trial. Now DCGI will decide on the approval for its emergency use. If this vaccine is approved, it will be the fourth vaccine to be used in India.
Covishield and Covaxin were the first to be approved. In such a situation, let us once again know from the expert which of these two corona vaccines is the best, what is the difference between these two, what is their efficacy, and what are their side effects?
Also, read| Which Indian Covid-19 vaccine is better and why?
What is special about theCovishield vaccine?
- The corona vaccine has been developed from a weakened version of the common cold-causing virus (adenovirus) in chimpanzees.
- However, it does not cause disease when injected into the body but stimulates the immune system to make antibodies against the coronavirus.
What is special about Covaxin?
- Covaxin is an inactivated corona vaccine, which is made by inactivating the virus that causes disease, that is, it cannot cause infection.
- When this vaccine is injected into the body, it prepares the immune system to recognize the real virus and fight and eliminate it when infection occurs.
What is the efficacy of Covishield and Covaxin?
- According to the Serum Institute of India, the efficacy of Covishield is 70 percent, which can be increased to 90 percent with a second dose.
- At the same time, the efficacy of Covaccine is slightly higher than Covishield i.e. 78 percent. Both these vaccines have been said to be effective even on new variants of the corona.
Antibodies are made in Coveshield more than Covaxin
- In June, a study published in the pre-print journal MedRxiv claimed that those taking the CovaShield vaccine had higher antibody levels than those taking the Covaxin vaccine.
- During the study conducted on a total of 515 health workers divided into two groups, it was found that up to 95 percent of employees in both groups developed antibodies and this rate was 98 in those taking Covishield and 80 percent in those taking Covaxin.
- Experts say that even though the level of antibody production from these two vaccines is different, but both are effective vaccines.
What are the side effects of both vaccines?
- Experts say that the side effects of both Covishield and Covaxin are almost the same.
- These side-effects include pain and swelling at the injection site, mild fever, headache, and pain in the extremities.
- However, there is absolutely no need to panic about these side effects.
- These problems last for 1-2 days and go away on their own, but if there is more problem, consult a doctor and take medicines.
For daily news updates related to finance, business and sports keep following our portal Daily News Capsule
Nikita Dhyani is a passionate writer. She basically writes on Health, Finance, and Politics related topics. She has explored many areas of interest and is being a part of the journalism industry.