In the olden times, the king-maharaja often used to dig wells at different places in his kingdom, so that there is no shortage of water. There are thousands of such wells in India, which are hundreds of years old and some even thousand years. Today we are going to tell you about one such well, which is called ‘Rani ki Baori’.
Rani ki Baori
- Actually, Bawdi means step well. The history of ‘Rani ki Baori‘ is more than 900 years old and a large number of tourists come here to visit.
- Let us tell you that in the year 2014, UNESCO declared Rani ki Baori a World Heritage Site.
- Located in Patan, Gujarat, this famous stepwell is also known as Rani ki Vav.
- It is said that Rani Ki Vav (Baori) was built in 1063 AD in memory of King Bhimdev I of the Solanki dynasty by his wife Queen Udayamati. Queen Udaymati was the daughter of Ra Khengar, the Chudasama ruler of Junagadh.
- Rani ki Vav is 64 meters long, 20 meters wide, and 27 meters deep. This is the most unique Vav of its kind in India.
- Many artifacts and sculptures have been splendidly carved on their walls and pillars.
- Most of these carvings are dedicated to Lord Vishnu in various forms like Lord Rama, Vamana, Narasimha, Mahishasuramardini, Kalki, etc.
About Rani ki Baori
- This seven-storeyed vav is a testimony to the Maru-Gurjara architectural style.
- It was buried in the silt for about seven centuries after the disappearance of the Saraswati river.
- It was rediscovered and cleaned up by the Archaeological Department of India. Now a large number of people also come here to roam.
- It is said that there is also a small gate under this world-famous step stepwell, inside which there is a tunnel of about 30 km long. This tunnel opens at Sidhpur in Patan.
It is believed that earlier this secret tunnel was used by the king and his family in war or in any difficult situation. At present this tunnel is closed due to stone pelters and mud.
For daily news updates related to finance, business and sports keep following our portal Daily News Capsule
Nikita Dhyani is a passionate writer. She basically writes on Health, Finance, and Politics related topics. She has explored many areas of interest and is being a part of the journalism industry.