Bhai Dooj is another main festival among Hinduism. The Second Lunar Day, according to the “Vikram Samvat Hindu calendar, this day is celebrated every year. Bhai Dooj is also known as Bhai Tika, Yamadvitiya, Bhau Beej among India. It is celebrated 2 days after Diwali with a lot of enthusiasm. This year Bhai Dooj will be celebrated on 6th November.
Like Raksha Bandhan, this festival also expresses the affection of brothers and sisters towards each other. It strengthens the bond between brothers and sisters. On Bhai Dooj, sisters pray for the long life of their brothers and brothers offer gifts to the sisters.
Bhai Dooj 2021: Date
- This year it will be celebrated on 6th November.
Bhai Dooj 2021: Puja Timings
- Timings for this year will begin from 11:14 Pm.
Bhai Dooj 2021: Significance
- The importance and significance is clearly understood by the name. Bhai refers to “Brother” and Dooj refers to “second day which comes after the new moon”.
- Bhai Doog not only signifies the bond of brother and sister but also promises to protect each other from all the evils.
- It is also known as Bhai Phota in West Bengal, Yama Dwitiya in southern India, and Bhau Beej in Maharashtra.
Bhai Dooj: Item List
- Wooden chowki
- White rangoli powder
- Cloth piece
- Kumkum or Chandan for tilak ceremony
- Aarti ki thali or normal plate
- Brass lamp
- Ghee or oil for lighting the brass lamp
- Sweets and fruits
- Paan, supari and coconut for prasad
- Gifts “obviously”
Bhai Dooj: Puja Vidhi
- Get up early, take a bath.
- Invoke Lord Ganesha first and take his blessings.
- Decorate the chowki.
- Decorate the puja thali with Flowers, Sweets, Supari, Chandan, etc.
- While facing north or east make your brother sit on the chowki.
- Cover his head with a piece of cloth.
- After this, light the lamp of ghee.
- Do the aarti and after seeing the auspicious time apply tilak.
- After tilak, give him fruits and sweets to eat.
- Brothers then give gifts to their sisters.
Bhai Dooj: Story
1- Story of Yama and Yamuna
- According to mythology, Lord Surya and his wife Sangya were blessed with children. The son’s name was Yama, and the daughter’s name was Yamuna.
- Sangya could not bear the penance of Lord Suryadev, in such a situation, she created her own shadow and went to her maternal home by handing over her son and daughter.
- Sangya doesn’t have enchantment with her kids but kids love each other very much.
- Sister Yamuna after marriage calls her brother Yama at home for lunch. But Yama being always busy didn’t get time to go there.
- Yama didn’t get time from his work, that’s why he never visited her sister’s home.
- But after a lot of insistence from the sister, he reached her house on the second day of Kartik Shukla Paksha to meet Yamuna.
- Yamuna welcomed him, apply tika on his forehead and offer food to eat.
- Yama was impressed by her sister’s hospitality. He then asked her to ask something from him.
- Yamuna asked him for a boon to come home on this day every year.
- Yama accepts the request and gifts her some jewelry and ornaments.
- It is believed that the brother who gets the tilak done by his sister on this day, never fears premature death. This day is also known as Yama Dwitiya.
2- Story of Krishna and Subhadra
- According to stories, Lord Krishna after killing the demon Narkasur visited her sister Subhadra.
- Subhadra by offering sweets and flowers gave him a warm welcome.
- Subhadra then applied tilak on Krishna’s forehead.
- It was believed that the “Bhai Dooj” festival was born from that day.
Difference Between Bhai Dooj And Raksha Bandhan
- Raksha Bandhan is celebrated in August. Bhai Dooj is celebrated after Diwali.
- On Raksha Bandhan sisters tie rakhi on the brother’s wrist. On Bhai Dooj sisters apply tika on the forehead of brothers.
- In Raksha Bandhan brothers promise to protect their sisters. In Bhai Dooj sisters promise to protect their brothers.
- Raksha Bandhan can be performed between sisters, brothers, or friends. But Bhai Dooj festival is only for brothers and sisters.
- Lord Vishnu and Lord Indra’s wife is related to the Raksha Bandhan festival. While in Bhai Dooj it is believed that Yamraj visited her sister’s home.
Bhai Dooj Mantra
Ganga pooje Yamuna ko, Yamee pooje Yamaraaj ko
Subhadra pooje Krishna ko, Ganga Yamuna neer bahe
mere bhaee aap badhen phoole phalen.
Bhai Dooj Wishes
Khush kismat hoti hai wo bahan,
Jiske sir par bhai ka haath hota hai,
Har pareshaani mein voh uske saath hota hai.
Ladna ghagadna fir pyaar se manana,
Tabhi to is rishte mein itna pyaar hota hai.
Praying for your long life and good health on this Bhai Dooj and always.
You were always my best friend,
Looking out for me, making sure
The path I travelled on was smooth.
Even if I searched the world over,
There cannot be a better brother than you.
Your love for me reminds me of the love of Lord Krishna for his sister Subhadra. You have always sought my welfare and happiness and I pray for you on this wonderful day brother. May you live a happy, long, and wonderful life.
You mean the world to me bhai,
May the beautiful relationship we share,
strengthen our bond more,
Best wishes for this day.
Your charming smile make my days.
With your caring ways you become my second mother.
Darling Sister what may come
I will always stand by you…
I feel so proud and blessed to have a special and most wonderful brother like you. You are my best companion and guide during all times. You inspire me and keep me going on unaffected by the difficulties of life. I always pray for you brother. Stay blessed and happy always.
Wish you infinite happiness and a life that is prosperous and bright.
Few brothers on this earth can match with you dear brother. You always care for me and wish for my welfare all the time. I keep praying for you and sending the divine blessings that will ensure your success and happiness all the time.
Bhai Dooj Images
For daily news updates related to finance, business and sports keep following our portal Daily News Capsule
Nikita Dhyani is a passionate writer. She basically writes on Health, Finance, and Politics related topics. She has explored many areas of interest and is being a part of the journalism industry.