The Olympic Games being played in Tokyo, the capital of Japan, have reached their last stages. Before the start of the tournament, it was expected that this time India will do the best in Olympic history. To a large extent, it happened.
Despite the exclusion of many big players like Mary Kom and Amit Panghal, India is still in the race to win some medals.
Talking about Olympic history, India has a total of 28 medals so far. These include nine gold, seven silver, and 12 bronze medals. The Indian hockey team has won a maximum of eight gold medals. The country has gold in only one individual event, which Abhinav Bindra won in shooting during the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
Talking about the best Olympic campaign, India had a total of six medals in the 2012 tournament played in London. This time India can cross this figure. However, for this, India will have to perform as expected in the remaining medal matches.
Let’s know about the major sports from which India can create history in Tokyo Olympics
Hockey: Two medals expected
- This time India’s both men’s and women’s teams have reached the semi-finals. However, India’s men’s team suffered a crushing defeat at the hands of Belgium in the semi-finals.
- Now Team India will present a claim for the bronze medal. At the same time, the semi-final match of India’s women’s hockey team is to be held on August 4. In such a situation, there is still hope of a gold medal from this team.
Boxing: Hoping for a Medal
- Lovlina Borgohain, who is competing in the Olympics for the first time, has ensured that the country gets another medal by making it to the semi-finals of the 69 kg weight category.
- If Lovlina wins the semi-final match, then silver will be confirmed. However, the people of India would hope to end their campaign with a gold medal.
Wrestling: Expect two to three medals
- The wrestling (freestyle) bouts will start on August 4.
- In this, Bajrang Punia, Deepak Punia, and Vinesh Phogat will present the medal claim for India. India has done well in wrestling in the last few years.
- That’s why this time also India has high hopes from its wrestlers. India can win two to three medals in this category as well.
- India will also be hoping for a medal from the javelin throw. Neeraj Chopra will start his mission from India.
- 2018 Asian Games champion Neeraj will play his first match on August 4.
India can win a total of nine medals
- In this way, Team India can win a total of nine medals this time.
- At present, Mirabai Chanu has won silver and PV Sindhu has given India two medals by winning bronze.
- Lovlina has confirmed the medal by reaching the semi-finals of boxing. In this way, three medals are sure for India.
- After this, if Indian players perform as expected in hockey, wrestling, and javelin throw, then India will have a total of eight to nine medals. It can also get a gold medal in hockey or boxing.
For daily news updates related to finance, business and sports keep following our portal Daily News Capsule
Nikita Dhyani is a passionate writer. She basically writes on Health, Finance, and Politics related topics. She has explored many areas of interest and is being a part of the journalism industry.