India is not only a country of temples but also a country of forts because our country has hundreds of forts, which are located in different parts of the country. Many of these forts are hundreds of years old and there are many such forts, whose construction no one knows about. Many forts present here are also considered mysterious for some reason or the other.
For the Rathore dynasty, Sun was the most superior of all Gods. Hence, they named the fort ‘Mehrangarh‘, a name which was derived from two words: ‘Mihir’, which stands for Sun, and ‘Garh’ implicating Fort
Today we are going to tell you about one such fort, about which it is said that the whole of Pakistan is visible from there, but the eighth gate of this fort is considered very mysterious.
Story of Mehrangarh Fort
- This fort is known as Mehrangarh Fort. Situated right in the heart of Jodhpur city of Rajasthan, this fort is built at a height of about 125 meters.
- The foundation of this fort was laid by Rao Jodha in the 15th century, but its construction was completed by Maharaj Jaswant Singh.
- This fort is one of the oldest and largest forts in India, which is considered a symbol of India’s rich past.
- Mehrangarh Fort with eight gates and innumerable bastions is surrounded by high walls. Although there are only seven gates (pols) of this fort, it is said that it also has an eighth gate, which is mysterious.
- At the first gate of the fort, sharp nails were installed to protect it from the attack of elephants.
- Mehrangarh Fort has many grand palaces, wonderfully carved doors, and lattice windows, among which Moti Mahal, Phool Mahal, Sheesh Mahal, Sileh Khana, and Daulat Khana are very special.
- Near the fort is the temple of Chamunda Mata, which was built by Rao Jodha in 1460 AD. Special poojas are offered here during Navratri.
Rao Jodha thought of building a fort on a hill a kilometer away from his fort. That hill was known as ‘Bhor Chidiyatunk’ because of the large number of birds that lived there. Rao Jodha is believed to have laid the foundation of Mehrangarh Fort in 1459.
For daily news updates related to finance, business and sports keep following our portal Daily News Capsule
Nikita Dhyani is a passionate writer. She basically writes on Health, Finance, and Politics related topics. She has explored many areas of interest and is being a part of the journalism industry.