Most expensive player in IPL: In the first auction, MS Dhoni was the most expensive player and it did not raise any eyebrows. After India’s victory in the 2007 T20 World Cup and Dhoni’s abilities as a batsman and captain, he was the most sought-after player in the auction.
In later seasons, Yuvraj Singh (twice), Ben Stokes (twice), Ravindra Jadeja, Jaydev Unadkat became the most expensive players. Pat Cummins became the most expensive player in the history of IPL last season.
However, the most exciting one was the 2021 IPL auction with Chris Morris earning Rs 16.25 crore with Rajasthan Royals spending a huge amount for him. He also became the most expensive player ever in the auction.
Also, read| Which is The Most Popular IPL Team of India?
Check out the top 10 most expensive players in IPL and also check IPL 2021 and 2020 most expensive players here below.
1. Chris Morris – Rajasthan Royals (₹16.25 crore)
- The massive and biggest surprise of the 2021 IPL auction was the ₹16.25 crore ($2.2m) paid by the Rajasthan Royals for South Africa all-rounder Chris Morris, who became the most expensive player in IPL and most expensive player ever in the IPL history till 2021.
- Chris Morris played for Royal Challengers Bangalore in last year’s tournament but unfortunately, he was limited to just nine matches, taking 11 wickets and talking about scores he took just 34 runs.
- However, the Royals released captain Steve Smith to free up some space for another overseas star.
2- Kyle Jamieson – Royal Challengers Bangalore (₹15 crores)
- New Zealand all-rounder Jamieson has made a stellar start to his international career and will enter the 2021 IPL this year as the second most expensive buy.
- It was Bangalore who won again, earning a whopping ₹15 crore ($2.06m) on the 6ft 8in star. Jamieson will provide quality right-arm pace and a useful lower-middle order for Royal Challengers, who have made some big strides at auction this year.
3- Glenn Maxwell – Royal Challengers Bangalore (₹14.25 crore)
- Even after his poor performance for Punjab Kings in 2020, Glenn Maxwell was always going to be one of the most popular and destructive properties in the market in the 2021 auctions.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore will be expecting their ₹14.25 crore ($1.96m) investment when they won a bidding war against Chennai Super Kings.
- Let us tell you that Glenn Maxwell is one of the most destructive/devasting T20 batsmen in the world when he is in form and will team up with Virat Kohli and AB de Villiers in Bangalore and he becomes the second most expensive player in IPL history.
4- Jhye Richardson – Punjab Kings (₹14 crores)
- Richardson entered the auction as one of the hottest and well-liked bowling assets on provide, and the ensuing bidding war did not disappoint.
- It was the Punjab Kings who eventually came out on high with a banging ₹14 crore ($1.9m) bid for the 24-year-old Australia international.
- Richardson is coming off a BBL campaign in which he took 29 wickets – five quite than any other bowler.
5- Krishnappa Gowtham – Chennai Super Kings (₹9.25 crore)
- Just as Riley Meredith broke the record for the most expensive uncapped foreign player, Gowtham has become the most expensive uncapped Indian player in IPL history.
- Chennai Super Kings paid ₹9.25 crore ($1.27m) for the Karnataka all-rounder, who has previous IPL experience with Rajasthan Royals and Punjab.
- He played just two matches last year for Kings XI, but will surely play a much bigger role for the Chennai Super Kings this time round after their big outlay.
6- Riley Meredith – Punjab Kings (₹8 crores)
- 2021 auction was the bidding war for young Australian pacer Meredith was one of the biggest surprises that took place.
- He enters the auction at a base price of 40 lakh only.
- Riley Meredith was then sold to the Punjab Kings for a huge amount of ₹8 crores ($1.1m), making him the most expensive uncapped foreign player in IPL history.
- Riley Meredith was recently impressed in the BBL, taking 16 wickets in 13 matches for the Hobart Hurricanes.
7- Moeen Ali – Chennai Super Kings (7 crores)
- Moeen Ali England’s all-rounder undergoes a difficult 2020 tournament with the Royal Challengers Bangalore, playing just three matches before being released.
- That did not discourage the Chennai Super Kings from going big for his services in 2021, however, as he spent ₹7 crores ($963,000) for the 33-year-old.
- Moeen Ali’s right-arm off-spin and ability to find the rope from the lower-middle order will be crucial for Chennai as they look to bounce back from the gloom of 2020.
8- Shahrukh Khan – Punjab Kings (₹5.25 crore)
- Shahrukh Khan the Tamil Nadu batsman entered the 2021 IPL auction as one of the most exciting uncapped Indian talents on offer, and a bidding war for his services underlined that status.
- It was the recently revamped Punjab Kings that won the ₹5.25 crore ($722,000) bid for the 25-year-old, with Delhi Capitals disappointed.
- An influencer for Tamil Nadu in domestic cricket, Shahrukh Khan is known for his big-hitting from the middle order.
9- Tom Curran – Delhi Capitals (₹5.25 crore)
- Tom Curran spent his last season with Rajasthan Royals, where he made just five appearances due to the presence of many big foreign names.
- The bidding war that took place for the England international’s services was really exciting to see, then, with the Delhi Capitals eventually coming out on top with a ₹5.25 crore ($722,000) bid.
- Delhi will hope that Curran’s wicket-taking ability at the time of death and his useful runs from the lower order can help them put up a better performance after losing 2020 final.
10- Nathan Coulter-Nile – Mumbai Indians (₹5 crores)
- Coulter the all-rounder of Australia released by Mumbai Indians after IPL 2020 but will return as defending champions in 2021.
- Indians spent a total of ₹5 crores ($688,000) to re-sign the 33-year-old Nathan Coulter-Nile, who will enter his 7 seasons in the competition in April.
- Coulter-Nile’s only action since the last IPL was with the Melbourne Stars in BBL 10, where he took 11 wickets in six matches but failed to impress with the bat.
For daily news updates related to finance, business and sports keep following our portal Daily News Capsule
Nikita Dhyani is a passionate writer. She basically writes on Health, Finance, and Politics related topics. She has explored many areas of interest and is being a part of the journalism industry.