In India, Mercedes-Benz has unveiled the new-generation GLA series. Both the regular GLA and the performance-spec AMG GLA 35 models are available, with prices ranging from 42.10 lakh to 57.30 lakh (ex-showroom, India). The company also stated that these are introductory prices and that starting July 1, 2021, the GLA range will see an upward revision of up to 1.5 lakh. The new Mercedes-Benz GLA will be available in India in conjunction with local economic activities and in compliance with all local regulations, as well as via the company’s digital stores.
- The CKD (Completely Knocked-Down) route is used to bring both the regular and AMG versions of the new Mercedes-Benz GLA to India. After the AMG GLC 43 Coupe and the AMG A 35 sedan, the AMG GLA 35 4Matic is the company’s third locally assembled AMG brand. GLA 200 ( 42.10 lakh), GLA 220d ( 43.7 lakh), and GLA 220d 4Matic ( 46.7 lakhs) are the three regular GLA models.
The first two are available in Progressive Line trim, while the 220d 4matic is available in AMG-Line trim. The AMG GLA 35 is priced at 57.30 lakh rupees (all prices, ex-showroom, India).
Because of the sculpted lines on the bonnet and sides, the 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA looks a little more butch than its predecessor. The top-end trim will feature the signature diamond-stud pattern grille with a chrome slat in the middle, as well as sweptback LED headlamps with integrated, LED DRLs, as seen on other A-Class models. New LED taillamps, a sculpted boot lid, a spoiler, and a beefy bumper are also added to the rear portion.
- The Panamericana grille with vertical chrome slats, as well as a more aggressive bumper and wider air intakes, are standard on the AMG GLA 35. Although the GLA has the option of 18-inch or 19-inch alloy wheels, the AMG GLA 35 comes standard with 19-inch alloy wheels. Multibeam LED Headlamps are also included on the latter.
Within, the SUV now has a new cabin with a wide single unit monitor for infotainment and instrumentation that can be split. The former gets a touchscreen and the MBUX infotainment device, which includes voice commands. Wireless charging, a multifunctional steering wheel, a panoramic sunroof, and a Mercedes’ Pre-Safe protection kit are among the other features.
- The new GLA is available with both petrol and diesel engines, both of which are derived from the A-Class Limousine. The former is a 1.3-litre petrol engine with 161 horsepower and 250 Nm of peak torque, while the latter is a 2.0-litre engine with 188 horsepower and 400 Nm of peak torque.
- The petrol engine has a 7-speed DCT transmission, while the diesel engine has an 8-speed G-Tronic automatic torque converter transmission.
- The AMG GLA 35 is powered by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine with 302 horsepower and 400 Nm of peak torque, mated to an eight-speed DCT automatic transmission. Mercedes’ 4Matic all-wheel-drive system is also included.
Keep reading the Daily News Capsule for more updated news.