World Bicycle Day reminds us of the many reasons why the bicycle is the most sustainable means of transport. It is affordable, reliable, eco-friendly, healthy, and comfortable. Due to the uniqueness and versatility of the bicycle, the United Nations General Assembly decided to declare 3 June as World Bicycle Day.
🚲 = clean transportation
🚲 = #ClimateAction
🚲 = access to education & health care
🚲 = improved health & fitness
— United Nations (@UN) June 3, 2021
— UCI (@UCI_cycling) June 3, 2021
Significance of World Bicycle Day
World Bicycle Day draws attention to recognize the longevity, uniqueness, and versatility of the bicycle, and that it is an economical, reliable, simple, clean, and environmentally sustainable means of transport. According to Un.org, “Bicycles contribute to cleaner air and less congestion and make education, health care and other social services more accessible to the most vulnerable populations.
The bicycle is considered to be a symbol of human progress and advancement. It promotes tolerance, mutual understanding, and respect and facilitates social inclusion and a culture of peace. As World Bicycle Day is now associated with promoting a healthy lifestyle for people with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, its significance has become ever more widely established in many countries.
A sustainable transportation system that fosters economic growth, reduces inequalities, while fueling the fight against climate change, is critical to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
World Bicycle Day Theme 2021
The theme of bicycle Day may be claimed as, Uniqueness, versatility, longevity of the bicycle, and simple, sustainable, affordable, reliable, means of transportation. This extracted theme of world bicycle day reveals the observance aim of such a special day.
History of World Bicycle Day
In April 2018, the United Nations General Assembly declared 3 June of every year as World Bicycle Day. The Day is the result of Leszek Sibilski’s campaign and the support of Turkmenistan and 56 other countries for World Bicycle Day.
Importance and Effects of World Bicycle Day
- Encourages the Member States to devote particular attention to policies and programmers to include the bicycle in national and sub-national development.
- It encourages the Member States to improve road safety and integrate it into sustainable cycling mobility to protect pedestrian safety.
- This day encourages stakeholders to emphasize the use of the bicycle as a means of strengthening education, including physical education, preventing disease, promoting tolerance, mutual understanding, and facilitating social inclusion.
- Encourages the Member States to adopt best practices and means to develop and promote the culture of cycling in society.
Logo of World Bicycle Day
Isaac Feld with the assistance of Professor John E. Swanson designed the logo for World Bicycle Day. This logo symbolizes various types of bicyclists around the globe. The basic message is to show that the bicycle belongs to and serves all of humanity.
How World Bicycle Day is celebrated?
Usually, on this day people would join others on a bicycle ride around town and hold other events that would involve bicycles. But this year due to lockdown there will not be any huge public gatherings as there have been in the past years.
Health Benefits that Bicycling gives
Improve cardiovascular fitness- Cycling is one of the best ways to strengthen your cardiovascular health as it is a form of cardio.
Increases your strength and stamina- People who do not exercise or cycle can lose their strength and stamina by staying indoors for a long time. So, cycling can work wonders by increasing the strength and stamina of the body and it can also improve blood circulation.
Extra weight loss- UK researchers who compared the daily modes of transport of nearly 150,000 participants found that cycling was one of the most effective forms of exercise for keeping trim and losing weight. Those who cycled to work had lower BMIs and body fat than those who walked.
Strengthens your muscles- Cycling is an excellent exercise that is much needed considering the number of days spent indoors due to the pandemic. Cycling can also cure muscle pain, joint pain, and other problems.
Good for concentration- Amidst the pandemic where many people complain of anxiety, depression, and stress, cycling is a great option for them as it teaches balance which can improve concentration levels and mood.
Reduced risk of Type 2 diabetes- Research of the University of Southern Denmark reveals that cycling can help to reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes. Researchers found that those who cycled regularly were less likely to develop type 2 diabetes, even those who took up regular cycling at a later age still benefited themselves from a 20% lower risk of acquiring type 2 diabetes than non-cyclists.
Easy and Fun- Besides exercise, cycling can be fun when out with family and friends. Right now, it’s difficult because of the pandemic, but cycling is the best option for adults and children for mental health.
Quotes of World Bicycle Day 2021
Riding bicycles will not only benefit the individual but the world at large… Emeritus Professor of Environmental Policy, Berlin
No comparison of the simple pleasure of a bike ride…John F. Kennedy
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race… HG Wells
When you are riding hard on a mountain bike, sometimes you fall; otherwise, you’re not riding hard…Former US president George Bush
People love cycling but hate cyclists…Peter Zanzottera
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving…Albert Einstein
The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart…Iris Murdoch, ‘The Red and the Green’
A bicycle is an industrial revolution in an individual’s life…F. K. Day, founder and president, World Bicycle Relief, 2012
We are not blocking traffic, we are traffic…Cycle advocacy slogan
10 Best World Bicycle Day Wishes
- Why use a car when you can cycle the entire distance?
- Daily cycling ride to keep the gyms at bay!
- Cycling can help people stay active and healthy. Happy International Bicycle Day!
- Let’s ride our problems away this June! On this World Bicycle Day, we’d like to wish everyone a safe and enjoyable ride.
- Cycling is a popular sport all around the world, and we are excited to promote it.
- If individuals considered riding a bicycle as a mode of transportation, it would significantly reduce traffic and pollution.
- Cycling is one of the most enjoyable and cost-effective modes of travel. Happy World Bicycle Day!
- This creation, which was created more than two centuries ago, continues to conquer the hearts of children and adults alike and is the ideal alternative for living a healthy life.
- It is inexpensive and efficient, compact in size, and can be parked anywhere. Nothing comes close to the bicycle’s perfection.
- There is a delight in pushing the pedals and going ahead, similar to the thrill one may think flying on one’s wings might provide.
For daily news updates related to finance, business and sports keep following our portal Daily News Capsule