World Water Day is celebrated worldwide on 22 March, which aims to highlight the importance of water and raise awareness about the water crisis facing the world.
History of World Water Day
- The resolution to celebrate this day was first adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on 22 December 1992.
- However, after which 22 March was declared as World Water Day and has been celebrated worldwide since 1993.
What is the theme of World Water Day 2021?
- The theme for 2021 for World Water Day is ‘Valuing Water’.
- However, The value of water is much more than its price – water has enormous and complex value for our households, food, culture, health, education, economics, and the integrity of our natural environment.
- If we overlook any of these values, we risk mismanaging this finite, irreplaceable resource,” explains the statement on the UN website.
🚰 1 in 3 people live without safe drinking water.
💧 By 2025, half of the global population will be living in areas where water is scarce.
— United Nations (@UN) March 21, 2021
Water Day Slogan/Poster
Significance of World Water Day
- Water Day aims to raise awareness about how quickly the water is being depleted by human actions and to mobilize action and change against the same.
- The day’s core focus is to “support the achievement of Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 6: Water and Sanitation for all by 2030,” as stated on the official UN website.
Why water is so important?
- Your body uses water in all its cells, organs, and tissues to help regulate temperature and maintain other bodily functions.
- Because your body loses water through breathing, sweating, and digestion, Hence, it’s important to rehydrate by drinking fluids and eating foods that contain water. That’s why Water is so important.
Ways to Save Water
- Avoid wastage of water while brushing.
- Save rainwater.
- Turn off taps after use.
- Avoid flushing the toilet too many times.
- Use water-friendly types of equipment.
- Close Taps Properly and Fix Leaking Taps, Pipes & Toilets.
World Water Day 2021: Quotes
- “Every human should have the idea of taking care of the environment, of nature, of water. So using too much or wasting water should have some kind of feeling or sense of concern. Some sort of responsibility and with that, a sense of discipline.” -Dalai Lama
- “Water is life’s matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water.”-Albert Szent
- “A river seems a magic thing. Magic, moving, living part of the very earth itself.”-Laura Gilpin
- “Pure water is the World’s first and foremost medicine.” -Slovakian Proverb
- “Thousands have lived without love, not one without water.” -W.H.Auden
- “When the well is dry, we learn the worth of water.” -Benjamin Franklin
- “No Water. No Life. No Blue. Go Green.” – Sylvia Earle
World Water Day Celebrations in India
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch the ‘Jal Shakti Abhiyan: Catch the Rain’ movement at 12.30 pm through a video conference.
- The campaign will be undertaken across the country, from 22 March to 30 November – the pre-monsoon and monsoon period, in both rural and urban areas, with the theme “catch the rain, where it falls, when it falls.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) March 22, 2021
For daily news updates related to finance, business and sports keep following our portal Daily News Capsule
Nikita Dhyani is a passionate writer. She basically writes on Health, Finance, and Politics related topics. She has explored many areas of interest and is being a part of the journalism industry.