On the eighth day of Navratri/Ashtami, Maa Mahagauri is worshipped. It is believed that Goddess Mahagauri can fulfill all the desires of her devotees.
Navratri Day 8: Mahagauri Significance
- Durga Ashtami is the most auspicious day of the ten-day Navratri and Durga Puja. Goddess Mahagauri is seen on a bull and has four hands.
- On one right hand, Mahagauri carries the Trishul or trident and the other right hand is in Varada Mudra symbolizing abundance.
- She carries the Damaru in one left hand and the other one is again in Varada Mudra.
- Women pray to Mahagauri for happiness and abundance in life.
- Another mythological legend around Ashtami, states that Goddess Kali appeared on this day from the forehead of Goddess Durga. He destroyed the Asuras or demons in the form of Goddess Kali, who was an incarnation of Durga.
- Durga Ashtami is also special because all the eight consorts of Goddess Durga – Brahmani, Maheswari, Kaumari, Vaishnavi, Varahi, Narasinghi, Indrani, and Chamunda – are worshipped on the day.
Navratri Day 8: Mahagauri Puja Vidhi
- The goddess is prayed to in the form of young girls, who are also referred to as kanjaks.
- People welcome nine young girls (who haven’t attained puberty yet) into their houses.
- All these girls sit in one line and a holy dhaaga is tied on their wrists.
- Then their feet are washed and tilak is applied to their foreheads.
- After that prasad, which has been specially cooked for them is offered, which comprises puri, halva, and black grams.
- The girls are worshipped as the young avatars of Mahagauri.
Navratri Day 8: Maa Mahagauri Dhyan Mantra
ॐ देवी महागौर्यै नमः॥
Om Devi Mahagauryai Namah॥
श्वेते वृषेसमारूढा श्वेताम्बरधरा शुचिः।
महागौरी शुभं दद्यान्महादेव प्रमोददा॥
Shwete Vrishesamarudha Shwetambaradhara Shuchih।
Mahagauri Shubham Dadyanmahadeva Pramodada॥
Navratri Day 8: Ashtami Shubh Muhurat
Maha Ashtami or Durga Ashtami Tithi begins at12:01 AM on April 20 and ends at 12:43 AM on April 21.
कन्या पूजन शुभ मुहूर्त
20 अप्रैल 2021 रात्रि 12 बजकर 01 मिनट के बाद से अष्टमी तिथि शुरू हो जायेगी. जो कि 20 अप्रैल को पूरे दिन रहेगी और 21 अप्रैल रात्रि 12 बजकर 43 मिनट तक रहेगी. इसके बाद नवमी तिथि का प्रारंभ होगी. जो 22 अप्रैल 2021 मध्यरात्रि 12 बजकर 35 मिनट तक रहेगी.
Navratri Day 8: Maa Mahagauri Stuti
या देवी सर्वभूतेषु माँ महागौरी रूपेण संस्थिता। नमस्तस्यै नमस्तस्यै नमस्तस्यै नमो नमः॥
Ya Devi Sarvbhutesu Maa Gauri Rupena Samasthitha |
Namastasyai Namestasyai Namestasyai Namoh Namah ||
About Maa Mahagauri
- Mahagauri represents the most compassionate side of Maa Durga.
- Her pictorial depiction shows her holding a trident and a damroo in the upper right and left hands respectively. And she portrays the Abhaya and Varamudra in the lower hands. Mounted on a bull, this form of the Mother Goddess is called Mahagauri because of her fair complexion.
Navratri Day 8: Maa Mahagauri Stotra
Sarvasankata Hantri Tvamhi Dhana Aishwarya Pradayanim
Jnanada Chaturvedamayi Mahagauri Pranamamyaham
Sukha Shantidatri Dhana Dhanya Pradayanim
Damaruvadya Priya Adya Mahagauri Pranamamyaham
Trailokyamangala Tvamhi Tapatraya Harinim
Vadadam Chaitanyamayi Mahagauri Pranamamyaham
Navratri Day 8: Colour of the Day
The colour of the day is Purple.
For daily news updates related to finance, business and sports keep following our portal Daily News Capsule