Key highlights –
- Every year 22nd may is celebrated as the international day for biological diversity and its significance along with a particular period of time.
- Although the theme for the international day for biological diversity this year is We’re part of the solution #ForNature.”
- This day is being celebrated every year with different slogans to motivate people and make them aware of biodiversity.
- International Day for Biological Diversity is observed to raise and create awareness about biodiversity issues.
🌎 We can be part of the problem — or we can be part of the solution. 🌱
— UN Biodiversity (@UNBiodiversity) May 11, 2021
However, The observance of International Day for Biological Diversity, in May 2011 Indonesian Forestry Minister inaugurated the Ciwalen Canopy Trail that is 120 metres (390 ft) long and 60 metres (200 ft) wide at an elevation of 30–40 metres (98–131 ft) above the ground at Gunung Gede Pangrango National Park, West Java, to accommodate five to ten people in one trip.
We all have a role to play in protecting the #biodiversity we depend on. 🌏
Join the celebration with our Twitter Moment.
— UN Biodiversity (@UNBiodiversity) May 22, 2021
International Biodiversity Day: Quotes
- “Biodiversity can’t be maintained by protecting a few species in a zoo, or by preserving greenbelts or national parks. To function properly, nature needs more room than that. It can maintain itself, however, without the human expense, without zookeepers, park rangers, foresters or gene banks. All it needs is to be left alone.” -Donella Meadows
- “Humans have changed ecosystems more rapidly and extensively than in any comparable period of time in human history, largely to meet rapidly growing demands for food, fresh water, timber, fibre and fuel. This has resulted in a substantial and largely irreversible loss in the diversity of life on Earth.” -Gary Larson
- “Yet, despite our many advances, our environment is still threatened by a range of problems, including global climate change, energy dependence on unsustainable fossil fuels, and loss of biodiversity” -Dan Lipinski
- “If we pollute the air, water and soil that keep us alive and well, and destroy the biodiversity that allows natural systems to function, no amount of money will save us.” -David Suzuki
- “I can’t imagine anything more important than air, water, soil, energy and biodiversity. These are the things that keep us alive.” -David Suzuki
- “Climate change, if unchecked, is an urgent threat to health, food supplies, biodiversity, and livelihoods across the globe.” -John F. Kerry
- “We should preserve every scrap of biodiversity as priceless while we learn to use it and come to understand what it means to humanity.” -E. O. Wilson.