Chinese smartphone company Vivo has returned as the title sponsor of the Indian Premium League cricket tournament, almost a year after the sponsorship deal with the BCCI was suspended amid the India-China border standoff.
The company, which competes with players like Xiaomi and Samsung in the Indian market, also said that it will expand its portfolio of premium devices, and focus on new technologies like 5G.
#VIVOIPL is back in India 🇮🇳 🙌
Time to circle your favorite matches on the calendar 🗓️
Which clashes are you looking forward to the most? 🤔 pic.twitter.com/kp0uG0r9qz
— IndianPremierLeague (@IPL) March 7, 2021
Vivo India Director Brand Strategy Nipun Marya told PTI on Wednesday
- Vivo is back as the Title Sponsor of the IPL and it is very encouraging and exciting for us.
- The IPL is the biggest asset in India and a perfect combination of sports and entertainment, so we are waiting for the IPL to start on 9 April.
- Our old contract is the same as it is and we continue all the terms and conditions that we had previously put on the contract.
- He also said that the temporary hold was a mutual decision, the company and BCCI looked at the larger environment before deciding on holding sponsorship for a year.
- Marya also said that the company is also looking for 5 G products to launch.
Why did BCCI Banned VIVO Sponsorship
- Vivo’s sponsorship deal with the BCCI, worth Rs 440 crore per year, was suspended last season due to the India-China border standoff.
- Vivo had won the IPL title sponsorship rights for five years from 2018 to 2022 for a reported sum of Rs 2,190 crore.
- Vivo will now be the title sponsor till 2023.
- Dream11 had been the IPL title sponsors for the 2020 edition, winning the rights for Rs 222 crore.
Why did IPL Matches 2020 were Played in UAE?
- The matches were played in the UAE because of the pandemic.
- Due to the rising number of COVID cases in India IPL was a host in UAE.
- Because of the general elections in India IPL was a host in UAE so that IPL gets prominent attention from the viewers.
In India, IPL 2021 will run in Which Place
- IPL edition of this year will run from April 9 to May 30 across six venues — Mumbai, Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, and Kolkata.
- The Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad will host the final on May 30 as well as the play-offs.
For daily news updates related to finance, business and sports keep following our portal Daily News Capsule
Nikita Dhyani is a passionate writer. She basically writes on Health, Finance, and Politics related topics. She has explored many areas of interest and is being a part of the journalism industry.