Sri Lanka today announced that all arrivals from India will be banned with immediate effect due to the record increase in COVID-19 cases in India.
Several countries such as the UK, UAE, Australia, and Singapore have already banned travelers from India as well as other South Asian countries.
— OTV (@otvnews) May 6, 2021
Although authorities had earlier announced that the travel bubble would be suspended due to the COVID-19 surge in India, the Ministry of Tourism subsequently said the “bubble” was in place, with strict health protocols and quarantine requirements.
Also, read | The Third Wave of Covid-19 May Affect Children
COVID-19 surge in Srilanka
- Sri Lanka too is currently experiencing a rise in COVID-19 cases, nearly 2,000 new cases have been reported during each of the last 5 days up from an average of 200 per day up until mid-April that’s why Indians travel in Sri Lanka is for now restricted.
- Described as the New Year cluster coming from the traditional New Year festivities mid-April, the current wave is from the fast-spreading UK variant, the health authorities said.
Srilanka Tourism Authority
- Sri Lanka served as a transit hub for Indians visiting other destinations such as West Asia and Singapore, which required them to be set aside for 14 days. This was an arrangement by the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority.
- The Sri Lankan tourism authorities were to continue receiving Indian tourists under a travel bubble, for which special facilities were established. This was despite the current difficult situation in India.
- However, Tourism Minister Prasanna Ranatunga said that President Gotabaya Rajapaksa has issued instructions to allow Sri Lankan migrant workers to return to the country.
The Director-General Civil aviation in a letter to the CEO of the national carrier Srilankan Airlines has said, Following instructions received from health authorities of Sri Lanka due to the COVID-19 pandemic situation, it is hereby directed that passengers traveling from India will not be permitted to disembark in Sri Lanka with immediate effect.
New coronavirus current cases and deaths in India hit a record daily high with 4,12,262 new infections and 3,980 fatalities being reported now, taking the total tally of COVID-19 cases to 2,10,77,410 and the number of deaths to 2,30,168, according to the Union Health Ministry data updated today.
For daily news updates related to finance, business and sports keep following our portal Daily News Capsule