At Nashik Hospital (Zakir Hussain hospital), Maharashtra on Wednesday at least 24 COVID-19 patients died on life support because of an oxygen tank leak.
Seeing the leakage of the valve malfunction, State Health Minister Rajesh Tope said that if the incident occurred due to negligence, a high-level inquiry has been ordered.
Maharashtra | 22 people have died in Nashik oxygen tanker leak incident till now, confirms Nashik DM pic.twitter.com/K0N21BEsHT
— ANI (@ANI) April 21, 2021
How many Patients were there in Nashik Hospital?
- Maharashtra Health Minister Rajesh Tope said that a total of 157 patients were undergoing treatment at COVID-19 Hospital in Nashik.
- Of these 157 patients, 61 were significant with some of them on ventilators and oxygen support. Of the 24 people who lost their lives, 11 are male and 11 are female.
- About 171 patients were on oxygen at the hospital. Three days before the tragedy, data from COVID-19 of the Union Health Ministry was compiled from major cities between March 16 and April 15, with Nashik being the worst city in the country per million inhabitants.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Congress leader Rahul Gandhi grief over the incident-
The tragedy at a hospital in Nashik because of oxygen tank leakage is heart-wrenching. Anguished by the loss of lives due to it. Condolences to the bereaved families in this sad hour.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) April 21, 2021
The news of patients’ death at Nashik’s Zakhir Hussain Hospital is extremely tragic.
My heartfelt condolences to the aggrieved families.
I appeal to State Govt and party workers to provide all possible assistance.
— Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) April 21, 2021
Maharashtra Health Minister Said-
#WATCH | An Oxygen tanker leaked while tankers were being filled at Dr Zakir Hussain Hospital in Nashik, Maharashtra. Officials are present at the spot, operation to contain the leak is underway. Details awaited. pic.twitter.com/zsxnJscmBp
— ANI (@ANI) April 21, 2021
Union Home Minister Amit Shah and Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari expressed anguish over the tragedy
नासिक के एक अस्पताल में ऑक्सिजन लीक होने से हुई दुर्घटना का समाचार सुन व्यथित हूँ। इस हादसे में जिन लोगों ने अपनों को खोया है उनकी इस अपूरणीय क्षति पर अपनी गहरी संवेदनाएं व्यक्त करता हूँ। बाकी सभी मरीजों की कुशलता के लिए ईश्वर से प्रार्थना करता हूँ।
— Amit Shah (@AmitShah) April 21, 2021
Important Key Points of Nashik Incident
- Two more patients, who were on a ventilator, succumbed in the evening. They could not get sufficient oxygen earlier in the day when its supply stopped due to the leakage in the tank, collector Suraj Mandhare told PTI.
- The Nashik police have filed a case against unknown persons under Section 304 (Culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of the IPC over allegations of gross negligence.
- Explaining the reason behind the deaths, Nashik Collector Suraj Mendre said, “The tank supplied to this hospital was leaking due to damage to the cork, after which the pressure was reduced and those on the aggressive ventilator did not get enough oxygen in time. Received 22 people have died.
- After nearly an hour, the same tank has been started. It is being used to supply oxygen to the patients now. However, the decrease in pressure, earlier, led to the incident.
Nashik Police Commissioner Deepak Pandey said that the sentiments of the people are intense, adequate police deployment has been arranged. He said that the area has been sealed. A video of the alleged leaking of oxygen from the storage plant went viral on social media in the morning.
Relatives of the deceased reached the hospital soon after hearing the incident and are demanding that strict action be taken against those responsible for the incident.
For daily news updates related to finance, business and sports keep following our portal Daily News Capsule